Welcome to Reception (Age 4 to 5 years)
The day begins for Reception children at 8.30am and the children soon learn to organise their belongings at the beginning of the day. This involves putting away their book bag and hanging up their hat or cap and blazer.
Curriculum activities cover the seven areas of learning of the Foundation Stage:
1. Communication and Language - Speaking, understanding, listening and attention.
2. Literacy –Reading and writing; including cursive handwriting.
3. Mathematics - The development of mathematical concepts in number, calculations, shape, space and measure.
4. Understanding the World - Termly topics to integrate Design Technology, Science, History, Geography, Computing and RE.
5. Expressive Arts and Design - Art and craft activities, music and singing, role-play, music and movement and dance, with our specialist dance instructor.
6. Physical Development - PE and Games, Swimming, fine and gross motor activities.
7. Personal, Social and Emotional Development – underpinning the above, the children learn to manage their feelings and behaviours, develop self-confidence and self-awareness, and make new relationships.
In addition, the children in Reception start to learn Modern Foreign Languages with a specialist teacher; studying French, Spanish and Russian for one term each, during the academic year.
Each Reception child is paired up with their own Form 6 Buddy and over the course of the year it is lovely to see their special friendship develop. The children always look forward to their buddy visiting to help with activities and play with them. A number of after-school clubs are offered at the end of the normal day and run from 3.30pm to 4.00pm, these currently include ballet and tap dance.