Welcome to Reception (Age 4 to 5 years)
From the moment they join Reception, children are supported and encouraged to build a love of learning and a thirst for knowledge: they experience the joy of learning something new.
Our two Reception classes consist of children who have progressed from our Nursery, and we welcome a number of other children who are new to Eversfield and join us at this stage. Small class sizes feature throughout the school but, with a maximum of 20 children, we also value class sizes that are large enough to support a range of friendships and spark discussion.
In Reception every child is paired up with their own Form 6 Buddy and, over the course of their first year, it is wonderful to see their special friendships develop. The children always look forward to their buddy visiting to help with activities and play with them.
Curriculum activities cover the seven areas of learning of the Foundation Stage:
1. Communication and Language: speaking, understanding, listening and attention.
2. Literacy: reading and writing.
3. Mathematics: the development of concepts in number, calculations, shape, space and measure.
4. Understanding the World: termly topics that integrate DT, Science, History, Geography, Computing and RE.
5. Arts and Design: art and craft activities, music and singing, role-play, movement and dance.
6. Physical Development: PE and Games, Swimming, fine and gross motor activities.
7. Personal, Social and Emotional Development: the children learn to manage their feelings and behaviours, develop self-confidence and self-awareness, and establish new relationships.
In addition, the children in Reception start to learn Modern Foreign Languages with a specialist teacher, studying Spanish in the Michaelmas Term and French during the Lent and Summer Terms.
A number of after-school clubs are also offered at the end of the normal day which the Reception children can join.